my two year old is sleeping with her diaper duct taped together because on Monday, she took her diaper off and:
- pooped on the kitchen rug and stepped in it and left a trail of poop prints through the kitchen and dining room and riving room carpet
- peed on the floor
- peed on the couch
- peed in her bed THREE TIMES during the hour she was supposed to be napping.
and I am so tired of hearing “all wet, mama” on the baby monitor and getting up in the middle of night to change sheets MULTIPLE TIMES A NIGHT so the diaper will be duct taped on for a while.
she has refused her nap for a week now and she is suffering from it. yesterday we went to storytime at the library and she:
- screamed as loud as she could when I told her to sit down THREE TIMES
- took the librarian’s books away TWICE
- ran up to the librarian and touched her boob ??????????
last week at a library magic show she:
- within seconds of arrival she had ran up to the magician and taken a prop off the stage
- screamed when I made her put it back so I removed her from the magic show and then she:
- ran from me and played hide-and-seek in the stacks until I picked her up and held her (and the baby in his car seat and two bags of library books) and then she screamed while we waited in the checkout line.
we won’t be going back to the library for a while.
she has officially worn me out and it’s only Wednesday.
I can tell that all this insane behavior is a perfect storm of no naps and crappy nighttime sleep. instead of falling asleep at night, she sits up for hours in her crib, singing and talking and jumping on the bed. she has gone from three-word sentences to speaking in complete sentences in a matter of days and she is picking up new words and phrases so fast. I said “I’m so lucky” to her this morning and she was quoting it back to me tonight.
she is insanely smart and knows how to push all my buttons.
she is also a great kid who instantly forgives me and offers me hugs and kisses when I apologize for getting mad at her. she is brave and so adventurous and her happy place is at the park across the street, playing with pinecones and sand and exploring the nature trail. she really loves nothing better than just wandering around outside touching trees and collecting branches. so I guess that’s where we ought to be right now instead of the library. we ought to be in places where she can succeed and thrive, not places that make her overstimulated and cause her meltdowns.
on another note: she has always been a light sleep and has always woken up multiple times a night and so has he, except he is an infant still and has only wanted to eat. but a few nights ago BOTH OF THEM slept from 11 pm-6 am and it was amazing.